Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Travel Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Mark Moxon

Subject: Chalo
Posted: 4 Sep 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Shawn.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I completely got the wrong end of the stick when it comes to chalo - 'let's go' is pretty different to 'get outta here', which is how I was using it. Oops! I bet that made me look a bit stupid... πŸ˜€

And I thought it was 'chelo' rather than 'chalo'. Duh!

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply

Anand Pal Mishra

Subject: Chelo pakistan
Posted: 12 Dec 2012 2:55 am

Hi Mark.
as u asking hindi meaning of chelo pakistan, if anybody use this words in india it meant go to hell.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Meaning of 'Chalo Pakistan'
Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:20 am

Hi Anand.

That's interesting... because I originally wrote something very similar to what you say, but this conversation persuaded me to take it off my site, because nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. 😲

Do you think 'chalo Pakistan' is a phrase that is only used in certain parts of India, or by certain people? That might explain this conversation...

Mark

Post a Reply

Mallika

Subject: never heard of this phrase
Posted: 18 Jun 2014 1:04 am

I guess it's like you said - slang that is only used in certain regions/amongst certain groups, and not well known amongst all who expect to know πŸ˜€ I grew up in Uttar Pradesh, one of the main Hindi-speaking areas, and had never heard of it. I'd find it puzzling, would not automatically interpret it as an insult - but then, I am a literal minded person πŸ˜€

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Old saying
Posted: 24 Jun 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Mallika.

Yes, it does sound as if it's a local saying that isn't that widespread - at least, that's the only explanation I can think of!

It's also a while since I wrote about it - long enough for a saying like that to disappear completely, so it'a probably a thing of the past already. That's language for you! πŸ˜€

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply

Kate

Subject: chalo!
Posted: 13 Jul 2014 10:16 am

I don't know how I stumbled on this I was looking for a song and it caught my interest! I see the post is old but I will add that my fiancé who is Punjabi always uses chalo as a closer to a phone call or when he's leaving. Basically like saying he's gotta go. Its usually used like, "Chalo Darling, I'll call you later." Haha but considering the rivalries in some areas between India and Pakistan I could see .. Chalo Pakistan used as an insulting way of telling someone to kind of f* off.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Let's go
Posted: 15 Jul 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Kate.

Yes, chalo is used all the time - as you say, it's a kind of 'gotta go' phrase, or 'let's go'. So I'd expect 'chalo Pakistan' to mean 'let's go to Pakistan' - quite the opposite of the expletive version.

Which is another reason to think that 'chalo Pakistan' doesn't mean anything nasty... though who knows!

Mark

Post a Reply

Terry

Subject: "chalo"
Posted: 16 Oct 2015 2:31 am

Was watching heros reborn and when the Indian women yells chalo to the other girl they take off running.Closed captioning spelled it chalo. I came across your posts on the word while looking for the meaning.It seems to fit "lets go" context wise.I enjoyed all the rest of the explanations you gathered over the years.Thanks for the good read.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Chalo, let's go
Posted: 28 Oct 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Terry - it's an interesting one. I think 'let's go' is the best translation I've found, with chalo being the most common spelling. So far, anyway! πŸ˜€

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply