Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Travel Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Santosh J

Subject: Do I need Ordnance Survey Maps?
Posted: 26 Jan 2017 4:37 pm

Mark:

Thank you for this excellent website. This website has been instrumental in my planning process. I am setting out on April 5th.

Since you did this trip back in '03 I was wondering if the ordnance survey maps are still of good use, or if Google Maps would suffice. Would you please shed some light on it?

Thank you

Santosh

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Digital maps
Posted: 31 Jan 2017 9:18 am

Hi Santosh.

These days, lots of people use some kind of handheld device instead of paper maps, though I don't know how many of those use handheld OS maps rather than Google Maps. Google Maps is fine for road walking, that's for sure, but it's probably not so much use on the moorlands, so for that kind of walking it's probably worth looking into smartphone apps that also include OS maps (such as Outdoors). There's a cost for smartphone OS maps, but they are way cheaper than the paper versions.

I've updated my Maps page as it was getting a bit old, so hopefully this helps:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/walking_tips/maps.html

Good luck with the walk!

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark

Post a Reply

Santosh Jayaram

Subject: Thank you + Questions: Cornwall, B&B's and Ham sandwiches
Posted: 7 Feb 2017 12:20 am

Hi Mark:

Thank you for your response.

I looked up Outdoor and I am going to get it. It is a lot cheaper than the paper maps. About GBP 30.00 for a years worth of Maps. In addition to that I am going to get the Explorer edition maps on paper for the journey up to Bath.

If I find myself referring to the paper maps a lot, then I may ask my wife to mail in the paper maps for the rest of the journey from Bath onwards.

Questions:

1. Cornwall: When I lived in England for Uni for about 2 years, I had friends who invited us to their homes in Cornwall. I was petrified by how they drove through the country streets. They were utterly bonkers in how fast they drove through those narrow, windy, hedgerow lines country roads. I am a bit fearful of these lanes because of my experience driving with these guys. Is there some reasonable precaution I can take, say walk on the right side of the road, etc? Did you have a similar fear? Any advice?

2. B&B's: Is there a unified, reliable website in the UK that people use to book B&B’s along the LEJOG path you took? Do I have to book in advance? Or would you advise I just wing it and book a day or two in advance? What did you do?

3. In all of your daily posts, which i loved, and am still to get through, I noted that you brought ham sandwiches along. Did you buy pre made sandwiches or did you just happen to carry a loaf of bread and ham and make them along the way. Sorry for the specific nature of the question. Just intrigued about this last one 😀

Thank you so much for starting this website and responding so dutifully. What a neat legacy!

Besto

Santosh Jayaram
Questions:

1. Cornwall: When I lived in England for Uni for about 2 years, I had friends who invited us to their homes in Cornwall. I was petrified by how they drove through the country streets. They were utterly bonkers in how fast they drove through those narrow, windy, hedgerow lines country roads. I am a bit fearful of these lanes because of my experience driving with these guys. Is there some reasonable precaution I can take, say walk on the right side of the road, etc? Did you have a similar fear? Any advice?

2. B&B's: Is there a unified, reliable website in the UK that people use to

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Answers
Posted: 9 Feb 2017 12:37 pm

See my answers here:

www.landsendjohnogroats.info/guestbook/viewtopic.php?p=9598

Post a Reply