Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Travel Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Brent

Subject: Walking Land's End to JohnO'Groats this spring
Posted: 12 Mar 2017 10:15 pm

Mr. Moxon,I am walking the End to End path starting next month.I will be carring a new iphone7, my first.I do navigate well with a map and compass,but I want to do this walk using digital mapping as much as possible.Is there a mapping app you recommend?

thank you
Brent

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Map apps
Posted: 23 Mar 2017 4:52 pm

Hi Brent.

I've only used one iPhone mapping app - Outdoors - and it works well for me, so that's definitely an option. I know OS themselves have just bought out an app that might be worth checking out (it's called OS Maps), but I haven't done that myself yet as I'm used to using Outdoors.

I don't know which is cheaper for buying the actual maps, but I suspect the new OS Maps one might be cheaper as I think it's £20 a year for a subscription, while Outdoors maps are sometimes quite a lot more than that (though they also have a subscription option which might be comparable). They are both free to download and try out with some basic, free maps, so why not get both and decide yourself?

I hope this helps, and good luck with the walk!

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply

James Jones

Subject: Iphone maps
Posted: 25 Mar 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Brent,

I saw your post and thought I'd add my own opinion, for what it's worth.

I've used an app named viewranger on my iPhone for several years and always found it to be excellent. You buy credits and then only buy the map squares that you need either 1:25000 or 1:50000 scale. I don't know the technical detail but do know that it has never let me down and I've walked in some of the most remote of areas of UK and Europe.
Just be aware that whichever app you use it's going to drain your iPhone pretty quickly and even a full charge will perhaps only do for between 3-4 hours of walking. You'll need to carry a power pack and a lot of these are pretty heavy and will add weight to your backpack. Also be aware that the iPhone can be pretty unreliable in wet or cold weather and for that reason I would never overly rely on this alone when walking. I can only speak from experience and hope this useful.
I'm also starting my LEJOG next month. Only 4 weeks to go and I'm so excited.

Jimmy

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: ViewRanger map costs
Posted: 30 Mar 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jimmy - I haven't heard of ViewRanger before, but personal recommendations are always great.

The only thing that's worth looking into is map cost. Outdoors and OS Maps both have the same subscription model - £20 a year for all OS maps - which is great for LEJOG walkers. I can't find a subscription option for ViewRanger, just the individual map prices, which can really add up. If you know os a subscription model for ViewRanger, can you point me in that direction, as the app looks great?

All the best,

Mark

Post a Reply

DullDave

Subject: Map Apps
Posted: 10 Apr 2017 2:48 pm

I've used Viewranger for a LEJOG walk, and would thoroughly recommend it. You can have it on two devices (in case of failure) and it saves an awful lot of maps (space and weight).

On a different note, I'm sure anyone that has done the walk and roughly followed the popular Mccloy route would tell you that the A9 in Scotland is the worse bit of it.
For my next walk up there, in 2018,I intend to try the John 'o Groats trail from Inverness.
Also there is now an alternative to the Great Glen Way (boring in parts), south of the Loch.
Don't forget the Mccloy route is very old (though good at the time); some simple research will allow you to improve on it.

Post a Reply

DullDave

Subject: Map Apps
Posted: 10 Apr 2017 2:50 pm

Sorry, I should have added a link.

http://www.jogt.org.uk/

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Avoiding the A9
Posted: 18 Apr 2017 10:28 am

Hi DullDave.

I hear good things about the alternative to the A9/A99 road slog - it certainly can't be worse!

You're right, McCloy's route (and, by extension, the one on my website) can be improved in some parts, and the A9/A99 part is definitely one of them. It's not exactly a great way to end (or start) your walk... 😮

Mark

Post a Reply