Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Travel Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Jenny C

Subject: Good read!
Posted: 2 May 2022 8:04 am

Always been an ambition of mine to walk Lands End to Jon O Groats, so loving your account. Probably a long time ago now to you! Very readable and enjoyable, I'm imagining I'm walking it myself!
Thank you

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: LEJOG site
Posted: 3 May 2022 12:20 pm

Thank you Jenny - glad you like it! You're right, it's a long time ago now, but I still have really fond memories of the walk, and having this site helps keep the memories alive.

Good job, really, given that my feet and knees aren't what they used to be! Ah well... 😀

Mark

Post a Reply

Jenny C

Subject: Returning home
Posted: 6 May 2022 5:22 pm

I've finished your account now, good read it was too - and I did feel for you in Scotland, especially with the food poisoning. But I'm curious - did it take a long time to wind down afterwards? After walking about 20 miles every day for 3 months it must have been difficult returning to mundane everyday life and office work. And just sitting all day and not moving. Did you end up hving dreams you were still walking?

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Back to work
Posted: 7 May 2022 2:23 pm

Hi Jenny.

Good question! Yes, it was a shock, but because I'd quit my job before doing the walk, I didn't have a job to go back to, so the shock was less than it would have been. It took a few months to get another job sorted, during which time I created this site, so I kept busy and the lack of a 9 to 5 meant I had plenty of time to ease back into "normality".

I definitely dreamed of walking after finishing, and I'd often wake up and instinctively start planning the day's walk in my head, only to realise that I didn't have to - that I'd actually finished! That was quite pleasant, really, after the struggles through Scotland; by the end, I was more than happy to stop walking.

In a sense, doing LEJOG got it out of my system, and it took me a while to do anything this big again (my tubewalk in 2008 was the closest thing, and that was a lot more civilised). I still think back to my LEJOG often, as I'm sure all other LEJOG walkers do; very happy memories, even if once was enough!

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad you made it to the end. 😀

Mark

Post a Reply