Skip to navigation

Mark Moxon's Travel Writing

Contact Me: Guestbook

Craig Terry

Subject: Thank you
Posted: 21 Jul 2023 12:25 pm

Hi Mark, I just wanted to thank you for your in depth analysis of Elite. This game came out on the very day of my 14th birthday and I spent weeks playing it on the Electron then later the BBC Master. Whilst I'll admit to having only very BASIC programming skills I found you article incredibly interesting. I have always wondered (more & more as I got older) how everything about this seminal game was crammed into a 32k machine. Your article sheds massive amounts of light onto the various aspects of the game and how it works.

Thanks again for your wonderful insight.

Post a Reply

Mark Moxon

Subject: Kind words
Posted: 26 Jul 2023 12:38 pm

Hi Craig.

Thank you so much! I'm delighted you like the results - I was also 14 when Elite hit the shelves, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to find out how it all worked under the hood. It's been an endlessly fascinating journey, and it's great to know other people like it too.

I'm currently working my way through the NES version, all 128K of it - though there is a lot of the original BBC Micro version's code in there, which is fascinating. Watch this space for more Elite goodies - there's plenty more to say. 😀

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it - it makes all the effort worthwhile to know that people like what they see.

Best wishes,

Mark

Post a Reply